Saturday, July 18, 2015

New Homeowners Adventures - Six months in.


This feels like home now. Still love it. Love the space. Love the privacy (kind of)... Love the views, at least till they build the houses in front. Which should not be that long. Our dishwasher continues to give us trouble. Two leaks and a lot of floorboards later, Lennar has agreed to replace the unit. Hopefully, that will be the end if it. 

The drive to work is not half bad. It takes 20 mins or so in off-peak hours. But on most days I take the bus. In the near future, I am hoping that I will start going to TKD, and that will involve more driving. Utility bills are indeed higher , but in all , I am still quite happy that we took the leap. 

The one big disappointment was my inability to re-finance. Two factors made this particularly hard.
  1. I have a HELOC and I am not anywhere close to 80% equity
  2. Interest rates are climbing in anticipation of rate hikes.
My far-fetched and ambitious goal was to refinance within six-months to a combination of lower rates and removal of HELOC. But from the looks of it, the HELOC is here to stay.  The combining of the two loans would have de-risked me significantly, while also easing my cash flows. 

So I guess, I am most likely going to stick to plan B. Which is pay down my HELOC as fast as I can. 
So far, I have paid down about 30%. But the rate of repayment should slow down now.

No comments: