Monday, July 27, 2015

My first ever 10K

After the exciting yet somewhat dis-appointing Shasta Summit bid, I have decided to throw away all my reservations and fears. I am not impulsive, and even though I failed at Shasta, I was a lot more richer for the experience. So staying in the same spirit, I impulsively have signed myself up for my first 10K. I am not good at running, but I think my attitude to running really holds me back.

I found a 10k, a mile from my place, at the coyote Creek trail. This is the same trail I go cycling at. The event is on September 9th. Which is , IMO, just enough time to get somewhat prepared. It cost me around 40 dollars. So it was reasonably affordable, very close to my place, reasonably soon but not too soon. All the conditions were right. It was too easy and convenient for me to pass up.

I will start training tomorrow and see how far I get. I am guessing, I will run at 4 miles an hour.  So , without even starting, I am setting my goal at 100 minutes. I will adjust this up or down as the training progresses.
Planned training course 1. Approx 3 miles.


This is the training template I plan on using:
http://www.actionaid.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/10k_schedule.pdf

My first run was 2.6 Miles, and my second was 4.5 Miles. My pace seems to be an easy 11 min/Mile.
I was not cardio-vascularly challenged at the pace, but my legs need strengthening before I can push the speed, I have not run significant distances for more than 2-3 years. I think I should be able to finish the race in about 70 mins as of Jul 31, 2015.

I did my first ever 5 Miler. I took me a little less than an hour. It included a steep hill in the 3rd mile, which slowed me down. I can now see, that its not so easy to cut down the time. When I was biking I was gaining 10% speed everytime I rode. My running pace has been flat. I was not particularly winded today at my ~ 11min / mile pace. I don't have any doubts that I can complete the 10K, but, at my present time I am going to take 70+ minutes. The goal now is to be done close to 60 minutes.

{UPDATE} Managed to finish the race in 69 minutes.  Felt a lot tougher than planned. Because I stopped training.. But all in all I felt great for having completed.



No comments: