Friday, November 14, 2008

The Piano

It was fifteen years ago, that I read about this movie. And for some reason the name stuck in my head. I remembered Ana Pacquin winning an Oscar for her role, her achievement left a lasting impression.

I saw the movie the other day, not having a clue as to what it was about. I finished the movie with exactly the same feeling. Why is it considered one of the better movies out of Hollywood. Harvey Keitel and Holly Hunter generated no chemistry even in their throes of passion. Nothing in the movie moved me. Even the angered husband chopping of his unfaithful wife's fingers. I never understood, why Sam Niel's character cared that much. His character seemed very wishy-washy. Holly Hunter's character screamed three things to me; Stupidity, stubbornness, and moral ambiguity.

I searched very hard for one shred of profundity in the movie, but failed to find it. Besides, I am not sure of the message of the movie. Does it condone the betrayal of Ada? Is it trying to make a feminist statement? I would love to have someone tell me what was so great about this movie. The only thing I found great was Anna Pacquin's acting.

No comments: